Sometimes I feel like I’m not old enough to be an adult. There are still days when a situation arises that I find myself thinking, “I shouldn’t have to deal with that. I’m not old enough.” Then I think, “Well, at my age, I’m certainly old enough.” Perhaps I should rephrase my thinking to, “I’m not mature enough.” But then, if I’m not mature enough at my age, when will I be mature enough? If I wait much longer, I’ll be able to say, “I’m too old to have to deal with this.” Yeah, that’s sounding better and better all the time.
Why is it, despite the fact I’m now in senior citizen mode, I still find myself incredulous over the fact I’m an adult? I have lived as a mostly responsible grownup for the better part of . . . let’s just say several years now, and for the most part I’ve done okay. I’ve managed to pay the bills, prepare meals (yes, Hamburger Helper counts as a meal), hold a job, and even make dental appointments when my teeth don’t hurt. That last item should certainly qualify as adulting, don’t you think?
I can distinctly remember as a child not being able to wait to grow up and have all the freedoms adults had. I suppose that’s fairly common. Now, I find myself wishing someone else would just take care of everything for me, the way it was when I was a child. And everybody expects me to act like an adult. Apparently, I’m not alone, as evidenced by my exhaustive research on the internet. See how many you can relate to.
1. I have been putting a lot of thought into it and I just don’t think being an adult is gonna work for me.
2. That horrifying moment when you’re looking for an adult and you realize that you are an adult. So you start looking for an adultier adult.
3. Being an adult is mostly just going to bed when you don’t want to and also waking up when you don’t want to.
4. Who let me adult? I can’t adult.
5. You know you’re an adult when you get excited about a new cleaning sponge at the end of the kitchen sink.
6. Being an adult is the dumbest thing I’ve ever done.
7. You try all your life to be an adult, but something deep down inside you will always be that child.
8. Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane.
9. With enough coffee I can dress myself and use my grownup manners.
10. I don’t run from my problems. I sit on my couch, play on my phone and ignore them like all other adults.
11. Drink some coffee and pretend you know what you’re doing.
12. I may be an adult but I’m really more of an adult cat. Someone probably should take care of me but I can sorta make it on my own.
13. My favorite childhood memory is not paying bills.
14. Adulthood is like the vet, and we’re all the dogs that were excited for the car ride until we realized where we’re going.
15. Shout out to everyone who got through the day without taking a nap. Pulled an all-dayer today. Pretty rough.
16. If it requires fake smiling, I’m not going.
17. I spent my whole childhood wishing I were older and now I’m spending my adulthood wishing I were younger.
18. And finally, this is MY original: I couldn’t wait to become an adult so I could go to bed whenever I wanted. I’m an adult now and I can go to bed at 9:00 if I want to.